Sunday, December 16, 2007

Saruman! Saruman! Saruman!

I am sitting in Las Vegas's McCarran Airport with an ETA 12 hours later than what I originally expected. With a free night in a Super 8 motel, $10 of meal vouchers left, and a free flight anywhere in the lower 48 states. Ah, I love flight cancellations and overbooked flights. And I love free wireless connections in the airport peppered with a very jetlagged and sleep-deprived the Chad.
I am back in my beloved Western United States. "East is least, West is best" is what I remind myself everyday on the East Coast.
You know what the greatest thing is about the West? It's not the people (people are equally cool everywhere, just in a different way). It's not the food (same everywhere, though with Carl's Junior and Rally's and Dreyer's). It's not the climate (though I really like the climate in the West better).
It's the lack of trees.
I know, I am officially evil.
I like trees. I like how they provide shade.
But all things in moderation. I mean, they're everywhere in Florida. And they make everything dark. And you can't see far into them.
So what do they have to hide?
I'm suspicious.
So I am reminded of Lord of the Rings and Saruman, who felled many a tree, and the orks and Uruk-hai, who shouted his name, encouraging deforestation.
So I shout with my Middle Earth brethren:
Saruman! Saruman! Saruman!

3 comments:

teachergirl said...

haha!

the day that we moved to North Carolina, my mom was sure that we had found heaven because there were trees EVERYWHERE.

but in florida, i'm with you. they hide some skeezy little critters.

may the airport PTB treat you well and may you enjoy your very Californian Christmas!

Anonymous said...

you make me laugh lots chad. I hope you know that.

also, for the record, I LOVE trees. I love the colors and the nature feeling they exude and the dark they create. It's the best thing for a little kid- the woods are a tunnel to a fantasy world of your own making, nothing short of magical.

Anonymous said...

Juice fasting has develop into a really preferred body weight loss approach.
Lots of really feel this is the finest commercially offered
ab device out there.

My homepage: rhawpam.org