Saturday, May 19, 2007

I'm Fixin' to Write A Blogpost

Hey, y'all. Since I'll be moving to a college town in the South ( Gainesville, FL), I thought I'd check out some of the slang down there in Dixie. So I did a Google search and came up with this website (http://littlerock.about.com/cs/southernlife/a/aasouthslang.htm). I thought that, for your amusement, I would take the slang, ignore the definitions, and tell y'all what I think they should mean based on their sound. For the real definitions, see the website above. Enjoy!

Cattywampus- A ceremony in which a cat is doused with water and ridiculed with harsh sarcasm, followed by catnip-induced fun all around. This is generally only performed by Uncle Billy every time he gets into the "cough syrup."

Frog Gig- Musical performance with violins, accordians, well-trained frogs and other swamp creatures.

Grab a Root- A trip to the grocery store before a long haul in the ol' big rig.

Piddlin'- **This definition cannot be displayed as the mere mention of it has been banned in Britain**

Pokeweed- Tobacco/tobackie, of the normal and wacky varieties.

Scarce as Hen's Teeth- Phrase that indicates anger or low intelligence: "Why, his wits are as scarce as hen's teeth," or "His patience is as scarce as hen's teeth right now. You'd best not bother 'im."

Washateria- This is a business establishment where a laundromat has been combined with a cafeteria. Despite its functionality and potential use a community center, it never really got out of the just-written-down-on-a-cocktail-napkin planning stage.

Yeens- Confused, as in "Why, I don't know what's wrong with the old Cadillac. I'm simply in the yeens about the whole matter."

1 comment:

Nama said...

i'm shocked that they left out the southern term, "coke," which means any carbinated beverage.

Waiter: Would you like anything to drink?
Aunt Bertha: I'll have a coke.
Waiter: What kind?
Aunt Bertha: A Diet Pepsi, I reckon.