Friday, June 1, 2012

Run for Your Life!

One day when I was a missionary in Finland, I went from door to door in the beautiful town of Nastola, just to the east of Lahti where I was working.  You may not know this, but in Finland you often enter a house from the backyard.  Observe the picture below:

One day, I went up to this one house.  The people at the house were enjoying the nice summer weather and drinking a 40 of liquor.  The man there said: "What's up guys?" and we replied "The usual".  I'd never met these people before.
With him at the table were two women who faces looked as if they'd been drinking and smoking (in confined spaces) for the past forty years.  One of them springs up, makes herself "presentable" (complies with legal standards of decency) and slaps the other woman palm-down in the face, yelling "I've got dibs!"
At this point my companion and I realize "Oh man, these women are crazy and are going after us!"  We both started running for our lives as they chased after us, shouting: "Come here, boys, come here boys" while shaking themselves suggestively.
Fortunately, they were in such poor health that they never got closer than thirty feet to us.  And we probably could have fended them off.  But the sight of the women shaking at me suggestively will remain with me forever, burned into my memory.

No comments: