Thursday, April 7, 2011

It Was the Best of TV Shows, It Was the Worst of TV Shows

Hello, Blog! After a year and a half, I thought I'd say hi. Not much has changed except that I work in a different city (but live in about the same neighborhood as before) and I have not had a mullet since November of 2009. Yes, I've been mullet free and loving it.

I thought I'd start a semi-regular feature about the best and worst TV shows I've seen in the past while. When I last blogged in Nov 2009, I had just been introduced to the wonderful world of Netflix and had purchased my own account. Now, after a year and a half of the 'Flix, I have to admit that there is a lot of crappy television and a lot of awesome television out there. Here are some of my favorites (in no particular order):

1. The IT Crowd. So here's this show's recipe for success: Put an Irishman, a British Nerd, and a Ginger in the same room, and presto! Instant comedy success. My favorite catchline from the show: "I'm disabled."

2. Justified. No, this isn't on streaming. But DVDs count too. This show takes the usual law man show and adds a hillbilly twist to it: A lawman returns to his Kentucky rooots, with his former love interest waiting for him. And plenty of hicks. It really works because of the brilliant scripting and acting chops, especially Timothy Olyphant.

3. Psych. Dule Hill, James Roday, and that guy from LA Law. Need I say more? (Yes, I saw them at Comic Con)

4. Burn Notice. Don't cross Michael Westen. Ever. And I also saw Bruce Campbell, AKA Sam Axe, AKA AKA Chuck Finley, at Comic Con. He's even more awesome in person.

5. 30 Rock. I can't believe I waited almost 5 full seasons before I fell in love with this show. Tracy Morgan, Tina Fey, that Southern Dude, and Alec Baldwin. Who knew that Alec Baldwin was so funny and willing to make fun of himself? Brilliant writing, and Tina Fey's character actually speaks some pretty good German.

And here's for the worst shows. Some are just categories of shows.

1. Boondocks. If the swearing doesn't get you, the racial slurs will. I don't know what they're saying all the time or why they're saying it, but it's actually pretty offensive.

2. Most Anime. I hate to say it, but Anime is not my favorite genre. I saw some pretty bizarre Anime displays at last year's masquerade (at Comic Con, brought to you by true blood). And they were all off-putting. As my Japanese friend in college said: "Yeah, we don't really like Anime that much in Japan either."

3. Most Reality TV. I mean, as much as I am dying to see Kim Kardashian buy shoes or act spoiled and self-absorbed, I think that most of this TV is a waste of time and resources. Unfortunately, because it's so cheap and oddly popular, I only see this trend continuing.

4. Monday Monday. I gave this show about fifteen minutes, 12 minutes more than I should have. It's about a youngish British girl who is seeking her place in life. This works when Tina Fey does it, but not when someone with no charm or real acting talent does it.

5. Melrose Place 2.0. Yes, I heard about it and decided I had to discover how terrible it really was. I mean, it was fortunately cancelled, so it's reign of terror ended. I have spent about 10 minutes flipping through the fast forward feature on Netflix. If the bad acting doesn't get you, the poor writing will. This is one case where I think the Nielsen system works.

This was the wrap-up for now. Let me know if you have any good or bad TV shows to view. I'll be on the look out.

8 comments:

L said...

I'm still mourning the end of Monk. I know eight seasons is a good run, but still.

Jon said...

I'm glad the IT crowd made your list, but I'm surprised not to see Community in the top 5. Also I have to disagree with you about Psych. I think the Big Bang Theory is better than Pscyh.

Chad Can Plan said...

Laura- Monk was a good show. I didn't even get into it until the last season!
Jon- Kat, Heather and I saw the whole Community cast (as well as Psych) at Comic Con. It was awesome. Community is a pretty awesome show, and the cast was totally enthused at the Con. I haven't been able to get into Big Bang Theory as much.

miktro said...

The Office?! You left out The Office?!! How could you Chad?! After all we've been through. And...no How I met your Mother or Seinfeld?...Wait is this about recent shows? I'm using someone else's netflix account and it is awesome!

Jelarin said...

Well, I know a number of good shows, some of which are currently running, and some which have been out on DVD for years. I'll just list the ones I've consistently watched new episodes of in the last year.
Burn Notice: I see you already have this on your list.

Suits: New show on USA about a super smart guy who didn't go to Harvard or get a law degree, but is working at a law firm as a lawyer to Harvey Spektor, the Hotshot lawyer of the show. Very interesting stuff. Not completely accurate, but very entertaining.

I'll have to post the rest in another comment.

Jelarin said...

House: I liked the first 4 seasons better, but the writing has still been fairly good. I really don't care about the characters' interpersonal relationships. What really interests me about this show is the weird diseases and conditions that they diagnose and the medical procedures they use to arrive at their conclusions. I also like how even though they guess wrong so many times, all is forgiven when House gets a Eureka moment and figures it all out.

Big Bang Theory: A fun sit com about geeks. Initially I didn't think I would be interested since it's about romance and drama and interpersonal relationships. But I find myself liking it because I could see myself talkign to the characters and being friends with them. I get most of their nerdy references, and understand how they feel about such things. I especially like Sheldon because he clearly displays Autistic syndromes and OCD. I work with autistic kids, and have some personality traits in common with them. I can understand Sheldon, and if I were there, I would take his arguments and intentions seriously. Also, they have an actual physicist on the show to consult and make the science they talk about real.

Jelarin said...

Bones: Initially, I was told to watch this show because David Boreanaz is in it. But I like the show more for the Brennan character than anything else. Also I like the forensic anthropology. The series got its idea from a book written by the woman Brennan is supposed to be. The forensic anthropologist who knows and can tell things about bones you would never think of, and solving murders on such little things.

Castle: I was told by my friend to watch this show because of Nathan Fillion. He is certainly an excellent actor. The writing is fairly good, and it's a murder mystery/homicide show. Figuring out cause of death, and potential suspects is always interesting to me.

How I met Your Mother: I like this show mostly for the awesome characterizations, but I am a bit annoyed at how long the series has gone on and yet he still hasn't actually met his childrens' mother. They show him in the future with Bob Saget's voice talking to his "kids" that look between 16 and 28 years old. It is the year 2030. So for his kids to be that old he would have to be married at least by 2013. It's getting closer... But the characters are quite entertaining. Also, they portray a loving and realistic marriage in Lily and Marshal.

Jelarin said...

The Guild: Web series by Felicia Day about online MMORPGrs who have to actually meet in real life and deal with real life and in game issues together. Felicia Day is awesome, and if you are nerdy at all, you should like this.

Lie to Me: A show about the science of reading people and telling whether they are lying or not. Fascinating. Also, helpful to me to be able to read people better.

Fringe: Think X-Files, or Outer limits. It is all about the weirdness out there, and how the characters are wrapped up in it. There is a mad scientist who is charming, and an FBI agent who fuels the plot and an ex-con man who is also the Mad scientist's long lost son.

Raising Hope: Cute show about a young man who had sex with a hot girl after he helped her get away from a guy. Turned out she was a serial killer and the cops wanted her. So his mom whapped her on the head with a tv, and she went to jail. about a year later after her trial she got put in the electric chair. But she had gotten pregnant, and Jimmy (the young man) gets to keep the baby. More cute and hilarious than it sounds. And they are ghetto poor white trash people. Also, some very good music is in this show.