Tuesday, June 14, 2011

If You Can Dodge a Wrench, You Can Dodge a Ball Thrown by a Mormon on a Trampoline

Yes, the title says it all. Last night for FHE we went to Sky High Sports in Rancho Cordova. What is that? It's a sports facility dedicated primarily to trampolines. And safety. And dodgeball.
Now, you might think, "Geez, Chad, that's a pretty dumb concept for an activity." To which I reply, "You don't know what you're missing!"
So what they have set up is a series of trampolines joined together by safety padding, with trampolines on the sides. You bounce from trampoline to trampoline, picking up the dodgeball and getting others (and yourself) out. It couldn't have been more fun.
Now, I actually suspected that it would suck. Mostly, I actually suspected that I'd be standing in the corner by myself with two or three bullies (a la the Simpsons) pounding on me or bouncing me up and down against my will. All the while I'd be shaking back and forth, shouting: "Make it go away! Make it go away!" I don't like bullies, and I especially don't like danger.
But what I found was a safe environment, happy people (who could be sad on a trampoline?), and I was pretty OK at dodging. Not throwing, but dodging.
So, if you've got $10 to spare, I highly recommend trampoline dodgeball. Worth every (church-sponsored) penny and liability waiver signing.
So, to close this off with a Jack Handy saying:
"If I ever opened a trampoline store, I don't think I'd call it Trampo-Land, because you might think it was a store for tramps, which is not the impression we are trying to convey with our store. On the other hand, we would not prohibit tramps from browsing, or testing the trampolines, unless a tramp's gyrations seemed to be getting out of control."
Note: None of these are from our activity. It's hard to take a picture on a trampoline.

4 comments:

Jelarin said...

Looks like fun. I always enjoyed dodgeball precisely because I was good at dodging, so I was able to feel good about myself, and make those throwing the balls at me feel incompetent for missing. So... When are you going to post another blog?

Anonymous said...

Again, this is all well and good but what about the PEMS data?

Anonymous said...

Agreed on the PEMS data. It would be especially helpful if the directional link was included on all pages. Keep up the good work.

Ag Man said...

Let us know if there's a PEMS seminar, I would be interested in attending