Sunday, May 1, 2011

Geez, I have to Iron my Kilt Again

Good Day, Everyone!

I was in a hipster-infested magazine store yesterday to buy an obscure news magazine. By obscure I mean German, and by news magazine I mean der Spiegel. Didn't have it. In any case, I was looking at the news periodicals, when I saw a man in a skirt. A pleated skirt. I walked behind him, pretending to look at the magazine but really trying to find out if this man was wearing baggy shorts (to hide his girth) or a proper skirt. I mean kilt. The answer came when I saw the label: it was a kilt brand that markets kilts to the active man.
This has obviously led to much introspection. Is it ever appropriate for a dude to wear a kilt? I took a look at the kilt brand's gallery and said maybe. If you're hunting a bear with a battle ax and deer blood (as bait), then yes, no one should be able to question your manhood. Or if you're the guitarist in a metal band, you have enough testosterone to wear a kilt. If you are building a house or a bear trap, then you can wear a kilt. If you are fighting Al Qaeda and drug smugglers in Afghanistan, then you can wear a kilt.
But for me and my friend in the magazine store, even if that kilt is made by Bonnie Prince Charlie himself, I can never wear a kilt.
Done.

5 comments:

Me said...

Thanks for clearing that up. I can now sleep better at night knowing I will not bump into down the road and find you wearing a kilt.

L said...

I think it's also acceptable if you're Scottish. As in, born in Scotland, not of Scottish ancestry.

Still, I don't quite understand the appeal. I belong to the gender group for whom it is equally acceptable to wear a skirt or pants, and I'll take pants of a knee-length pleated skirt any day.

Chad Can Plan said...

I'm actually having this internal debate about men and capri pants. I don't think they are appropriate, even if you are European.
Melissa- Let me know how many casual kilts you will see in Scotland.

Laura- I agree, with the addendum that you may wear a "formal kilt" if you are of Scottish heritage on very special occasions. But the casual kilt, no one Jose!

matt said...

"Excuse me, does this properly hide my Thunder?"

MuhammadUmar said...

Nice And Informative Website. Please Keep Continue Such Kind Of Effort.
men kilts for sale