Saturday, January 19, 2008

Old and Lovin' It


With two months before my 25th birthday, I am now officially old.
But it really has nothing to do with my age.
I was sitting on my bed the other night at 10:00 pm thinking about what to do. "Geez," I said to myself, "I can read, watch tv, chat with the roommates, have other types of fun, or go to bed." "Tough choice," I replied. After careful consideration, I spoke up. "Sleep" I said. "Good idea," I reaffirmed.
So I chose sleep over fun and am officially old.
Not as if anyone should blame me. On my way to work taking the NPR express, I discovered something called second sleep. Apparently, no one had really known what sleep was like before electric lights provided the option of shucking more corn or tatting a doilie at 11:00 pm. So researchers took normal, modern people and put them in an "ancient" environment of 14 hours of dark. Guess what happened? People started sleeping in shifts. After seven hours of sleep, people would wake up for "a few hours of quiet, attentive tranquility." That would be followed by four more hours of something Homer called "second sleep." I don't know about you, but having a second sleep is much cooler than having only a first sleep. So my decision of sleeping over fun is quite understandable.
I just hope I turn out to be a cute old person.

1 comment:

SkyBluePink said...

I am confident in your abilities to be a cute old person. If that doesn't happen, I'll still be your friend. Promise. (Although I am pretty sure that I'll die first. I am older.)