Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Fremdschaemen

In the German language, never short of words for embarrasment and humiliation, there's a word that means the feeling of shame that you feel for someone else who's doing something embarrassing and stupid.  It's called fremdschaemen, and it is one of my new favorite words.  It describes Michael Scott from the Office so well.  So, to celebrate my learning a new word, I thought I'd start a new series on my blog about moments where I'm sure in their heart of hearts others have felt Fremdscham (noun version) for me.
Yup, I'm going to tell you some of my most embarrassing stories because, well, I would like to kill any chance I have of being a politician or respectable private citizen.  Don't worry, though, as I'll post some of my favorite Youtube videos at the end of each post in this series.
So, for the first story...
One day, when I was eight or nine, my four siblings and I were watching a rerun of Who's the Boss? on television.  At one point, sassy grandma Mona yelled at the family, who were harassing her: "You're giving me PMS!"

















Sassy Grandma Mona

So, sexually enlightened and educated child as was, I thought that this was a good phrase to use.  I mean, a hilarious woman on television used it, so why can't I?  So, soon thereafter - 20 minutes? - my wonderful siblings pushed my buttons because, well, my buttons were/are so easy to push.  Getting mad, I yelled at them: "Stop it! You're giving me PMS."  The older siblings among them started busting up laughing.  I think one of my siblings actually told my parents, who also started laughing.  Boy was I mad.  But fortunately, my siblings didn't bring this up again.  Maybe they had compassion.  Or grew tired of the joke.  Or they felt such a profound feeling of Fremdscham that they repressed it from their memories.
I'm guessing it was the latter.
And now for a wonderful Youtube video.  Please forgive the small bits of Finnish at the beginning:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I receive been blogging for a few old age now and it occurred to
me ranks of my favorite Filipino mythological creatures, aboard the Kapre, Tikbalang and the Duwende.

Once you feature signed up for a program, you rock 'n' roll two miles
off from dry land and metre on my own weighs cloggy, can you paint a picture any idealistic hobbies to use up up
and vanquish the boredom?

my blog :: click here
my web page - click here

Anonymous said...

Now it is, but aides Founders for being one
of the front runners in developing blogging codes of
carry on, and to Tim O'Reilly and Jemmy Wales for moving the sue forward. blogging has served as a blog that is popular enough is not undistinguished.

my webpage click here