Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Freemasons Make Good BBQ

But they don't know how to advertise well.

That is just one of the things I have come to realize while I've been here in Florida.

The Freemasons hosted a $6 BBQ, and so my freemason co-worker invited me along. They roasted the chicken on cherrywood and used a good type of sauce. Boy, those freemasons must have good marinades as one of their little secrets!

Back in the day, they used to think that Mormons had horns. It makes sense. What else would explain our devilish good looks?

There are things called chiggers. They like to hide in the grass and in the Spanish moss that hangs from the trees. I am afraid of my little chigger buddies because they like to burrow into your skin and make you itch. Ouch! Everytime I walk under a tree I am so scared to have them brush into my hair, causing me to shave off my hair, cover my head in nail polish, and wait for the ouch to go away.

On Monday, I tried not to make any comments in my classes because I'm like Hermione Granger, raising my hand awkwardly before anyone else. I figured if I sit on my hands like I had to do in kindergarten everytime I get the urge to make a comment, I could do it. But 2 and 1/2 hours into the 6 hours of classes, I fell off the bandwagon. But where's my intervention?
Spanish Moss- the home of chiggers

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that the Mormons had a few BBQ secrets up their collective sleeves as well... shows what I know.

Jon said...

The chiggers hide out in Spanish moss? No wonder they want to get out; they may not speak Spanish.

Nama said...

oh the chiggers! i once got over 50 burrows all over my body. and because it was girl's camp, i used different color nail polish to paint over all the chigger burrows to suffocate them.

i was cool. but still had 50ish chiggers burrowing into skin.

Anonymous said...

Spanish Moss and their inhabitants are part of the larger plant community in which various species of fauna come to comprise. Your slanderous comments towards chiggers, for which you have incorrectly classified their genus name Chigerdamus, show your ignorance towards our habitat and I hope that your further blog posts are more sustainable.

PS: If you head over to my website I have a sale on some of my signature scarves. Get em while they're green.

kat said...

i haven't encountered any chiggers, but i do encounter giggley teenagers at work every day.
and sometimes it feels like they're burrowing into my soul.

Anonymous said...

when we were in elementary school they really got mad when we played with spanish moss (which is in fact not a real moss) because they didn't want us to get chiggers. So far I've been safe from them, but to this day I give spanish moss a wide berth, just in case.

hollythegr8 said...

I sometimes feel like Hermione myself. Except instead of answering the question, I'm just providing witty banter. But I'm sure the teacher appreciates it anyway. (Or at least that's what I tell myself.)